Do you need professional advice?

Do you need quality, professional advice? Although the drop-in advice sessions at STAG have now stopped, Blackfriars Advice Centre is still providing a service for Travellers in the area and STAG are More »

Driving Theory Test

Passing your driving theory can be tough. If you are a Southwark resident, there is free driving theory test practice available. All you need is to have a library number. Follow the More »

Gypsy Roma Traveller History Month

Should all schools celebrate GRTHM in June? Yes, all schools should. No, but schools which have Traveller, Gypsy and Roma students should. No, no schools should. If you would like to find More »

Applying for Schools in Southwark

For the most accurate up-to-date information on applying to school in Southwark it is best to use Southwark Council’s website or call 0207 525 5337. All school applications have to be done More »

CSCS Cards

What is a CSCS Card? The CSCS Card is used by the construction industry to make sure that all workers have enough Health and Safety knowledge to work on a construction site. More »

Make Money From Your Creative Skills!

Do you make greetings cards, jewellery, prints, badges, headband, soft furnishings or anything else? Would you like to sell it in a shop? Spark is a ‘pop-up’ shop about to open in More »

Monthly Archives: March 2012

National Insurance Numbers

If you live in the UK and your parents have been claiming child benefit for you, you should receive a National Insurance number automatically at the time you turn 16.

If you’re between 16 and 20 years old and haven’t received a National Insurance number contact the National Insurance Registrations Helpline for advice                           Tel 0845 915 7006 .

Lines are open 8.30 am to 5.00 pm Monday to Friday.

Why do I need a National Insurance number?

You need a N.I. number if you want to start work, claim benefits or tax credits., or even receive a student loan.

What happens after I apply for a N.I. number?

JobCentre Plus will organise an interview. They will ask you questions about why you want a N.I. number. They will also ask you to bring as much I.D. as you can. Valid I.D. includes:

  • Passport (UK or Irish)
  • National Identity Card
  • Birth Certificate
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Driving Licence

IF YOU DON’T HAVE ANY I.D. , YOU SHOULD STILL GO TO THE INTERVIEW. You will have to explain why you don’t have any I.D. but you could still get a National Insurance number.


When you receive your N.I. number keep it safe or commit it to memory. Do not tell everybody your N.I. number as it can be used to steal your identity. Only tell future employers, training providers or people you trust your N.I. number.

For any more information or if you need help, contact Archie on 02076355529 or by emailing


Want to write to your MP?

Do you feel as if politicians don’t care about the things that are important to you?

Do you wish that more attention was given to Traveller issues?

If there is an issue which you feel strongly about, a good way to highlight its importance is to write to your MP or Councillors. If a MP receives a few letters which all talk about the same topic, it is more likely to be discussed by the people who make law.

Writing to your MP is easy thanks to a website call . All you have to do is enter your postcode and then fill out a quick form online. Your MP has to respond within 20 working days. Remember, MPs are there to serve you.

If the issue you want to raise is more of a local matter, such as local planning, rubbish collection, council housing or local facilities, write to your Councillors. Again, just go to the WriteToThem website, put in your post code and then click “write to councillors”. If you can persuade more people to write similar letters, there is more chance of something being done about your issue.

If you want to find out more about your local MP, go to the TheyWorkForYou website. Enter your postcode and you will be able to find out who your MP is, how they have voted and how to contact them.

Driving Theory Test

Passing your driving theory can be tough.

If you are a Southwark resident, there is free driving theory test practice available. All you need is to have a library number. Follow the link to go to the free Driving Theory Practice tests.

If you would like some help, get in touch with STAG. You can use our computers to practice the questions and we will be happy to give you advice.

Call 0207 277 6172 or email

Young People’s Business Loans

The Government has announced that they will provide loans to young people who want to start their own businesses. These loans will mean that a young person with a good idea for a business can borrow the money needed to get started.

The loan will not have to be paid back until the young person earns more than £21,000 per year. If you don’t earn £21,000 per year, you don’t have to pay back the loan.

If you have a good idea for a business and you would like to find out more, contact us.

Young Travellers- tell us what activities you are interested in.

The Peckham Settlement are want to put on some activities for young Travellers in South London. We would like your suggestions on what these activities should be. Do you want to start a bicycle repair business, take driving theory test classes, self-defence or Traveller cooking classes?

Click here to complete a form about activities you are interested in and the Peckham Settlement will try to put on the most popular activities for young Travellers in South London. Please include either your e-mail address or phone number.

Traveller Site Provision

In January 2012 the Government announced that it would create 600 new pitches for Travellers and Gypsies by the year 2015. A total of £47 million will be spent. These might seem like big numbers, but that’s 600 pitches NOT sites. And that’s over a period of 3 years. Looking at the details reveals that there will only be 10 new pitches in London.

The London Gypsy and Traveller Accommodation Needs Assessment of 2008 revealed that between 2007-2012 a minimum of 130 new pitches were needed in London (maximum 554). In this period, there were only 3 new sites built in London, all in Hackney in 2008,and this was only to replace those that were removed for the Olympics. The same report said that between 2012-2017, a minimum of 96 pitches would be needed (maximum 154).

So we are asking you:

Is the Government’s pledge of 10 new pitches in London by 2015 going to provide enough housing for Travellers?

Contribute to

Do you want to contribute to the Traveller Site?

If you would like to write an article to express your opinions, share a story, show off your designing skills, keep everybody up-to-date with sporting events, share photos of festivals, suggest a topic for a poll or anything else, get in touch by email or call 0207 635 5529.

We would love to hear from you.


Bullying is a big problem. It’s the most commonly given reason by Travellers who have stopped going to school. The unfairness of bullying is that often the victim gets into trouble for retaliating; reacting to a bully can get the bullied person into trouble. This explains why exclusion rates among Travellers is so high. Travellers have a right to an education without being threatened, name-called or picked on, just like everybody else.

Click on the picture below to see what you can do about bullying.

Bullying should be stopped as soon as possible, otherwise it can get out of hand. It is best to deal with even the smallest instance of bullying by telling a teacher. You can tell any teacher you want, it doesn’t have to be your form tutor or house leader. All schools have policies to deal with bullying. If you don’t have the confidence to tell the teacher, you can ask your parents to let the school know, or contact us by email or by calling 02076391823.

When parents call the school to talk about bullying, 80% of the time the bullying situation is resolved.

I am a parent and I want to report that my child is being bullied. What should I do?

  • Call the school. You can find the school’s telephone number on its website. Ask to speak to your child’s form tutor or house leader, if they are not available tell the receptionist that you want to report bullying.
  • When you talk to the teacher, try to stay calm. It is very stressful when you are worrying about your children but the teacher will be more helpful if you can stay calm.
  • Give precise details of the bullying, include names, dates and places.
  • Make a note of the action the teacher says he/she will take.
  • Keep the school informed of the situation. Call to say if the situation has not changed or if it has improved.

More support for parents:

  • Parentline Plus helpline: 0808 800 2222 (Monday to Friday 9.00 am to 9.00 pm, Saturday 9.30 am to 5.00 pm, Sunday 10.00 am to 3.00 pm)
  • Kidscape helpline for parents: 08451 205204 (10.00 am to 4.00 pm)
  • Anti Bullying Campaign advice line for parents and children: 020 7378 1446 (9.30 am to 5.00 pm)
  • Advisory Centre for Education (advice for parents and children on all school matters): 0808 800 5793
  • Children’s Legal Centre (free legal advice on all aspects of the law affecting children and young people): 0845 120 2948
It can be very tempting to react to the bully by insulting or fighting back.

Though this might seem like the best way to solve the problem of bullying, usually it doesn’t help. People that bully sometimes do it only to get a reaction. They might be unhappy themselves and so they want to make somebody else unhappy. They might be jealous of you. They want to see if they have the power over you to make you respond. Often, Travellers get into trouble for standing up for themselves. If you get excluded or into trouble for standing up to a bully, it’s almost as if the bully has won. It shouldn’t be the victim who gets into trouble. This is why it is so important to tell somebody at school about any bullying as soon as you can.

Home Repairs/ Fix My Street

Have you a repair that you need to report?

If you live in a council flat , house or site in Southwark and need a repair done for example: sink/toilet/drains blocked , bolier or heating problem, or any others then please call the Southwark Repair hotline on 0800 952 4444.

When you report a repair to the adviser they will ask you for your details: name, address and telephone number, details of the repair you are reporting, once the repair is logged on the councils system the adviser will give you a date and time and a reference number. It is very important that you keep the reference number as you might need this to follow up an appointment. If you have any problems reporting a repair or a contractor hasn’t attended please contact STAG for help and support.

Is there a problem on a Southwark Traveller site that needs fixing?

If you have any enquires about the Traveller Sites or a council issue please contact Paul as he is the council worker who covers the four Traveller Sites in Southwark.

Contact Details
Paul Jeffery- The Travellers Officer
Office: 0207 525 4439 (leave a message with details of how to contact you)
Email: .

Is there a problem in your local area that needs fixing?

If you would like to report any problems in the local area why not use On this website you can report any problem and the council will be directly informed. It will keep a record of your complaint so that you can prove when you reported a problem.

Southwark Travellers’ Action Group- STAG

What is STAG?

STAG is a Traveller-led organisation based in Peckham at the Peckham Voluntary Sector Forum. Its aim is to address the welfare, social and cultural needs of Travelling communities. STAG mainly works in London, though it has also supported Travellers in Essex and Kent. STAG works with both housed Travellers and Travellers living on sites. Most of STAG’s work is with the Irish Traveller community. STAG has been running as a project since 1991, and is grateful to be funded by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade of Ireland.

STAG is currently looking to develop into an independent organisation and is actively looking for trustees to join our management committee.

How can STAG be of use to you?

STAG offers 1-on-1 support to Travellers at times of need. STAG deals with a wide range of issues:

Problems with Accommodation: 

  • STAG has worked with Travellers who are threatened with evictions or visits from bailiffs.
  • STAG can help with repairs.
  • STAG can signpost you to help with planning applications.
Benefits and Legal Advice
  • You can speak to a Benefits Advisor at the Willowbrook Centre from 10-12 every Wednesday. Please come before 11am to be sure to be seen.
  • If you have any legal issues STAG will point you in the right direction to receive the legal advice you need.

  • STAG can help with healthcare matters such as applying for GPs.
Work Experience, Training and Education

  • STAG supports Travellers who are moving into employment, training or education.
  • STAG can help with the school application process.
  • If there are any problems with the school or college you attend, STAG is available to tell your side of the story to resolve them.

Personal mattersIf you would like to talk to somebody about a personal, sensitive issue, STAG is available to listen confidentially.

How Do I Contact STAG?

Call STAG on 0207 358 6818 or send an e-mail to or .
Sojourner Truth Community Centre
161 Sumner Road
London SE15 6JL