Do you need professional advice?

Do you need quality, professional advice? Although the drop-in advice sessions at STAG have now stopped, Blackfriars Advice Centre is still providing a service for Travellers in the area and STAG are More »

Driving Theory Test

Passing your driving theory can be tough. If you are a Southwark resident, there is free driving theory test practice available. All you need is to have a library number. Follow the More »

Gypsy Roma Traveller History Month

Should all schools celebrate GRTHM in June? Yes, all schools should. No, but schools which have Traveller, Gypsy and Roma students should. No, no schools should. If you would like to find More »

Applying for Schools in Southwark

For the most accurate up-to-date information on applying to school in Southwark it is best to use Southwark Council’s website or call 0207 525 5337. All school applications have to be done More »

CSCS Cards

What is a CSCS Card? The CSCS Card is used by the construction industry to make sure that all workers have enough Health and Safety knowledge to work on a construction site. More »

Make Money From Your Creative Skills!

Do you make greetings cards, jewellery, prints, badges, headband, soft furnishings or anything else? Would you like to sell it in a shop? Spark is a ‘pop-up’ shop about to open in More »

Tag Archives: yoursay

Living on a site or living in a house?

Would you prefer to live on a site or in a house or flat?

Want to write to your MP?

Do you feel as if politicians don’t care about the things that are important to you?

Do you wish that more attention was given to Traveller issues?

If there is an issue which you feel strongly about, a good way to highlight its importance is to write to your MP or Councillors. If a MP receives a few letters which all talk about the same topic, it is more likely to be discussed by the people who make law.

Writing to your MP is easy thanks to a website call . All you have to do is enter your postcode and then fill out a quick form online. Your MP has to respond within 20 working days. Remember, MPs are there to serve you.

If the issue you want to raise is more of a local matter, such as local planning, rubbish collection, council housing or local facilities, write to your Councillors. Again, just go to the WriteToThem website, put in your post code and then click “write to councillors”. If you can persuade more people to write similar letters, there is more chance of something being done about your issue.

If you want to find out more about your local MP, go to the TheyWorkForYou website. Enter your postcode and you will be able to find out who your MP is, how they have voted and how to contact them.

Traveller Site Provision

In January 2012 the Government announced that it would create 600 new pitches for Travellers and Gypsies by the year 2015. A total of £47 million will be spent. These might seem like big numbers, but that’s 600 pitches NOT sites. And that’s over a period of 3 years. Looking at the details reveals that there will only be 10 new pitches in London.

The London Gypsy and Traveller Accommodation Needs Assessment of 2008 revealed that between 2007-2012 a minimum of 130 new pitches were needed in London (maximum 554). In this period, there were only 3 new sites built in London, all in Hackney in 2008,and this was only to replace those that were removed for the Olympics. The same report said that between 2012-2017, a minimum of 96 pitches would be needed (maximum 154).

So we are asking you:

Is the Government’s pledge of 10 new pitches in London by 2015 going to provide enough housing for Travellers?

Gypsy Roma Traveller History Month

Should all schools celebrate GRTHM in June?

If you would like to find out more about Gypsy Roma Traveller History Month visit the website.

Add your comments below.

My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding and Bullying- Have your say

Has there been more bullying of Travellers in school since My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding has been on Channel 4?

My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding- Have Your Say

If you would like to watch a documentary about Travellers, check out Peckham Travellers, a DVD made by Southwark Travellers Action Group (STAG) and Southwark Travellers Education Support Service.

Does My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding show an accurate picture of the Traveller community?

School Leaving Age- Vote in our poll

Should the school leaving age be changed?